Configuring a resource mailbox, with an approving delegate
April 16, 2010 Leave a comment
We are starting to see increased interest from customers on the more advanced end-user features of Outlook Live, and something that has come up for me several times in the last few weeks has had to do with setting up conference room resource mailboxes and then configuring them with policies, and delegates. Below I share a common scenario… setting up a room mailbox, and configuring that resource with a delegate so that any time anyone tries to book that room, it has to be approved by a room manager (a person).
If you follow the instructions here, and thanks to Paul Tischhauser for this, you will have created a resource mailbox that will accept meeting requests only through delegate approval. In this example, I am using “Room4” as the resource, and “RoomManager” as the mailbox that control is delegated to… “Jack Smith” is a regular user account.
- As admin, create new mailbox Room4 using ECP UI.
- Run PowerShell command to make Room1 a room mailbox. (set-mailbox room4 –Type Room)
- Log into the mailbox to fully activate it at http://outlook.com/.
- Log in as admin to http://outlook.com, and use ECP UI to change settings on Resource -> Scheduling Options as follows.
- From the inbox: Options -> Manage Another User -> Room4 ->Settings –> Resource
- Check “Automatically process meeting requests and cancellations” (should set AutomateProcessing to AutoAccept)
- Uncheck “Always decline if the end date is beyond this limit” (should set EnforceSchedulingHorizon to false)
- Click Save
- Close the Room4 options window
- Log in as Room Manager at http://outlook.com/
- Click Calendar -> Share-> Open a shared calendar, and directly accept/decline meeting requests and send a response from the calendar.
Here is what the resulting effect is:
User schedules a meeting, and invites Room4
User gets notification that the room “might attend”… it is pending approval…
Room Manager gets email notification about the booking, and can Accept, Decline, etc
Meeting gets added to Room4 mailbox calendar
Scheduling user (Jack Smith) gets notification that the room has been booked